The weekend flew by but I got a few photos along the way. Saturday Matthew worked most of the day (as usual) so I decided clean a bit and do some cooking. It was a chilly day so I made some Channa Masala for the first time in months and then tried out homemade Chapatis to go with it. It was tasty.

Sunday morning, Matthew woke up with his migraine for a third day in a row, so at the last minute we decided to skip church and he rested most of the morning. I made strawberry shortcake with the last of our strawberries before they went bad (there were 3 quarts for $5 Publix!).

Sunday is the one day Matthew and I have together and it went by quickly, of course. We spent the afternoon visiting his grandmother at the hospital, doing our grocery shopping for the week, and stopping by Old Time Pottery where Matthew passed by aisles going “These are so horrible! I have to look at them!”

And we found a clock we really liked:

Once we got home I went through Vegan Planet and found some delicious looking recipes to try. I made the Tuscan-Style pasta with garbonzo’s and sage for dinner with some garlic roasted green beans.

(The natural light was gone so these are not pretty with the yellow kitchen lighting)

I used this Channa Masala recipe that has great step-by-step pictures to go with it.

2 tins of ready-boiled chickpeas – rinsed in a colander
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 large onion chopped into long thin strips
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
Chunks of frozen, pre-pulped garlic, ginger and green-chillie
Spices: Turmeric (halidi), Garam Masala, Ground Coriander, Salt
Seeds: Onion seed and Cumin (Jeera) seeds.
A large large pot in which to pour 2 or 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil

Heat the oil in the pot until hot. Add the onion and cumin seeds and watch them pop and fizzle for around 20 seconds. Then add the chopped onions and fry until they are lightly browned. Then add the frozen (and by now thawed) chunks of pulped ginger, garlic and chillie. Stir fry on medium heat.

Then add the tin of chopped tomato and stir-fry for about 5 mins on medium-to-high heat until the oil starts to separate from the onion/tomato mixture – and then add the spices:

2 teaspoons of salt
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
2 teaspoons of garam masala
1.5 teaspoons of haldi (turmeric)

Stir it all thoroughly on medium flame.

Then add the chunks of potato – stir until well coated in spices. Then add around 3 smallish glasses of water into the pot – and put the lid on and bring to boil. Let it simmer on a very low flame for around 20 mins with the lid on. This will soften the potato.

After about 20 mins – check to see that the potato chunks are soft – and then add the drained (already-boiled) chickpeas. Stir it all up – and add another small glass of water to the pot. Bring to a fierce boil and then turn the flame down to simmer the pot for a while – with the lid partially on.

After about a further 15 mins of simmering – add some freshly chopped (or frozen) fresh coriander leaf and stir it all in. Keep it simmering for about 10 mins more. After that – turn off the heat – put the lid on tight – and let it it stand for around 15 mins whilst you make some basmati rice – or warm some pitta bread etc. It’s then ready to serve!

And now I have to get to work….